Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creole...the spoken language

sophomore Corporal (CPL)

Creole...the spoken language

Can it present a problem in lyrics writing? Do you feel the language is limited in specificity?
    Let me give you an example: the word bagay is used a lot in our speech...It is like when we are stuck in English, we use the word thing to express our thoughts...
    Flaubert Gustave coined this term, le mot juste, as he was working for the right word to use to express a thought...
    Does the Creole language provide us with that right word that is not general in nature but to the point and that resonates with the listener, that strikes a chord in their soul?
    I was listening to a radio station based in Haiti where the debate was centered around French and Creole...Many were defending the creole language, and how it needs to be used in the schools, and the French defender was showing how difficult it would be. He believes that the language does not provide that mot juste, that right word to express a thought...The gentleman presented the word "chen" to the Creole supporters and asked to talk about it.

What do you say to that as it pertains to lyrics?
    I have to run for a quick minute and I will be back to debate this...Please do share your ideas objectively...

sophomore Private Fist Class (PFC) DJ K's Avatar

Re: Creole...the spoken language

Tout' jen w gadel , Kreyol la se yion problem...pou yion seri agresseur....It's the language of truth......the revolutionary language....the vivid language ...
    I think that they should revise it, put it in a higher level, have a seminary about it and use it in schools , why not?
    Fe bagay.......fe yion lot bagay have 2 different meanings ... fe yion kichoy: do something...etc.

La Publicité est une Force et La Force de Votre Publicité c'est Radio Haiti Publicité!, (R.H.P)

Freshman Private Fist Class (PFC)

I am all for French language primary and Creole secondary language. French is global and will benefit us Haitians more than patois Creole, anyone who wants to progress and study abroad ( Canada, France, Ivory Coast etc.). will need to be fluid in French. What I don't get is that when Haitians travel to other country like USA they would learn English ASAP because they need to speak the language to survive, why are they so lazy when it comes to learning French which will be more beneficial in the long run. In Guadeloupe for example, they speak Creole and French and French is primary period, there's no debate as to which language should be primary and which should be secondary. The main reason Haiti has not progress is because we confuse our own selves.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoi View Post
    Can it present a problem in lyrics writing? Do you feel the language is limited in specificity?
    Let me give you an example: the word bagay is used a lot in our speech...It is like when we are stuck in English, we use the word thing to express our thoughts...
    Flaubert Gustave coined this term, le mot juste, as he was working for the right word to use to express a thought...
    Does the Creole language provide us with that right word that is not general in nature but to the point and that resonates with the listener, that strikes a chord in their soul?
    I was listening to a radio station based in Haiti where the debate was centered around French and Creole...Many were defending the creole language, and how it needs to be used in the schools, and the French defender was showing how difficult it would be. He believes that the language does not provide that mot juste, that right word to express a thought...The gentleman presented the word "chen" to the Creole supporters and asked to talk about it.

What do you say to that as it pertains to lyrics?
    I have to run for a quick minute and I will be back to debate this...Please do share your ideas objectively...

M panse gouvenman sipoze recruit de seri de gwo linguistics pou mete structure nan lang kreyol la epi nou nan batay..M panse yo sipoze elimine francais nan lekol yo paske it's a waste..Si leta te focus nan lang Spanish ak English li tap plus beneficial pou ti moun kap leve nan peyi ya..Francais se yon tan pedi li ye pandan lang panyol ak anglais pi fasil pou aprann e gen plus potential e plus lucrative nan Americas la.

sophomore Corporal (CPL)

Good Stuff, DJ, Fairlady, DonJuan...
    Do you think the creole language limit our ability to write profound lyrics?
    Or is it a case of lyricists not fully abreast of the language, and its usage?
    En passant, what language did Boisrond use for such timeless declaration?
    "Pour rédiger cet Acte, avait dit Boisrond Tonnerre, il nous faut la peau d’ un blanc pour parchemin, son crâne pour écritoire, son sang pour encre et une baïonette pour plumes"

Freshman Private Fist Class (PFC)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRoi View Post
    Good Stuff, DJ, Fairlady, DonJuan...
    Do you think the creole language limit our ability to write profound lyrics?
    Or is it a case of lyricists not fully abreast of the language, and its usage?
    En passansome , what language did Boisrond use for such timeless declaration?
    "Pour rédiger cet Acte, avait dit Boisrond Tonnerre, il nous faut la peau d’ un blanc pour parchemin, son crâne pour écritoire, son sang pour encre et une baïonette pour plumes"
    Creole is an informal language, always was & always will be, we have a hand full of Caribbean islands speaking some sort of French creole patois, the more we ( Haitians) dwell on making Creole a formal language the further behind we will be. However, I don't think Creole language limit one's ability to write profound lyrics, we tend to find any reason as to why we are not good at something. A good lyricist is a good lyricist and should be able to use any language formal or informal language to relay messages to the public. You wrote Boisrond declaration in French and you are asking us what language was it written, why didn't u write it in Creole?

Freshman Private 2 (PVT2) Sexy JB's Avatar

Tout a un commencement dans la vie. Le debut est toujours tres difficile, mais la perseverance engendre un future qui nous ouvre des voies incroyables et innimaginables. Si nan tan manmanm ak papam education national te bay kreol la valel, mwen pense nou tap pilwen jodiya kom pep ki kwe nan laveni societe yo.

Administrator joint chief of staff Makak's Avatar

Talking about rich lyrics in Creole...

The master...

I never did give anyone hell, I just told the truth and they thought it was hell